Welcome to ACCFTA
Austin Community College Fire Training Academy (ACCFTA) is an intensive semester-long program that includes classroom and hands-on instruction to give you the skills you need to become a certified firefighter in Texas. The certificate program is rigorous but rewarding.
Fall semester classes are held Monday-Thursday from 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Spring semester classes are a hybrid schedule (online and hands-on.) Both are 17 weeks. Required physical training classes meet twice a week, usually from 7:00 – 8:15 a.m. Daily attendance is MANDATORY.
ACCFTA is authorized by the Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP) to provide all required Basic Firefighter training. Upon successful completion, graduates receive a Firefighter Level 1 Certificate from ACCFTA, and are eligible to take the TCFP Basic Fire Suppression certification exam to become certified firefighters.
We are currently accepting applications. See below for details.
Watch ACCFTA Videos
Use the link below to view videos about our program including retention, graduation, and our purpose.
Connect with Us
Selection Criteria and Process:
There are normally up to 100 applicants each semester for 30 available seats. The selection committee evaluates each application individually — this is not a first-come, first-served process.
- All EMT (or higher) certified and currently enrolled applicants will be selected first.
- After all EMT (or higher) applicants have been offered, applicants who are currently enrolled in the AAS Fire Protection Technology program at ACC will be offered admission.
- Next, all current volunteer firefighters will be offered admission.
- If there are remaining slots available after this list of applicants has been exhausted, consideration will be given to applicants who have applied based on their date of application on a first-come-first-served basis.
- If accepted, you will be notified via email. If you do not receive a notification, you did not meet the selection criteria.
- You will have 5 business days from the date the email was sent out to confirm your acceptance and reserve your spot in the academy
- You must attend a scheduled pre-registration meeting with department staff prior to registering for classes. (date will be in the Acceptance Email)
- The Fire Academy does not maintain a waiting list or retain applications once a semester has begun. If you are not selected in this process, you will need to reapply.
- All students seeking certification from the Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP) will need to pass a criminal background check during their application for the certification process with the state. The Austin Community College Fire Training Academy (ACCFTA) will not advise or inform students of which criminal offenses are permissible by the state. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure they are eligible for certification prior to accepting admission into the ACCFTA. Students may wish to contact TCFP if there is concern as to whether they will pass the required criminal background check. Here is a link to TCFP’s FAQ page.
In addition to completing the ACC general application, prospective students must submit a separate application to the ACCFTA. Admission to ACC does not guarantee acceptance into the ACCFTA program.