General Student Policies
This is intended as a summary of student policies for the Public Safety Training Center. A detailed description is contained in the Student Guidelines posted on the PSTC website. Students should refer to that guideline for detailed explanations.
Conduct: Students will conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times while at the Public Safety Training Center.
Attendance: Students must attend all portions of courses to receive credit. Absences may be made up in coordination with the instructor.
Dress: The Public Safety Training Center does not require uniforms but students must dress in an appropriate manner. Students employed or sponsored by an agency are expected to follow their employer’s guidelines for dress.
Academic Standards: For any course leading to licensing, students must score a minimum grade of 80 percent on all written tests with the exception of a course final exam where they must score a minimum of 90 percent. For all other classes, students must pass all written exams with a minimum score of 70 percent.
Skills Proficiencies: All skills demonstrations, if required, are scored on a pass/fail basis. Proficiency standards will be according to learning objectives and lesson plan requirements for the course. If there are mandated licensing standards, those standards will apply.
Tobacco Use: PSTC is a tobacco free facility; this includes smoking, vaping, or any other form of tobacco.
Equipment Needs: Students may be required to provide limited equipment for specific courses or blocks of instruction. Refer to individual course postings to find a listing of required equipment.
Violations: Violations of any of these or any policy contained in the Student Guidelines may result in the student being dismissed from training.
Read a PDF of the student policies.
Read a PDF of the Student Guidelines.
Student Registration Process
- Students enrolling in classes offered by the Public Safety Training Center must register through the Continuing Education portal complete instructions can be found at this location: http://continue.austincc.edu/register/
Students Registering for Basic Licensing Courses (Telecommunications, Corrections, BPOC)
- Contact the Public Safety Training Center at least 45 days prior to the class start date to obtain the necessary documents and instructions.
- Register through the Continuing Education portal as shown above for All Students.
- The following documents must be completed and received by the Public Safety Training Center at least 14 days prior to the start of class:
- TCOLE L2 Licensee Medical Condition Declaration, must include drug screen
- TCOLE L3 Licensee Psychological Health Declaration
- FAST Fingerprint background authorization
- Completed Personal History Statement
- Proof of Citizenship
- Proof of Education (HS Diploma or GED)
- Military Discharge (if applicable)
- DPS Driver’s License verification (Basic Peace Officer Only)
- For students employed or sponsored by a Law Enforcement Agency a properly completed Declaration of Licensing Course Enrollment Eligibility form may be submitted in lieu of TCOLE L2, TCOLE L3, FAST Fingerprint authorization, and Personal History Statement.
- Students are NOT be allowed to begin attending classes until all of the above items submitted and approved by the Public Safety Training center.
Student Selection Order
- Generally student will be granted admission based upon earliest registration date.
- In the event a class becomes full, students currently employed or whose tuition is paid by an agency will be given preference admission to a class.
- Students not admitted due to a class filling will be given preference in the next available class.
Read a PDF of the Student Registration Process.