STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
We are committed to:
- Providing students in the ITP the knowledge and skills necessary to enhance their bilingual/bicultural competences that will enable them to seek employment in a interpreting field.
- Providing students in the transfer degree plan the knowledge and skills necessary for transfer and success at a bachelors degree program.
- Providing students in the ITP the knowledge and skills necessary for interpreting job enhancement.
- Providing all students advising from a qualified, dedicated, and accessible faculty.
Our overall departmental mission is threefold:
- to prepare students for entry-level employment in the rapidly expanding interpreting field,
- to prepare students for BEI state certification
- provide undergraduate courses to individuals who wish to transfer to complete a four year degree.
What is an Advisory Committee?
An advisory committee is a formally organized committee of citizens selected from the [Deaf/interpreting] community to provide expert advice and assistance to the ASLIT program.
The advisory committee serves as an ongoing partnership between ACC’s ASLIT Department and the Austin Deaf community. It is designed to ensure that student’s knowledge and skills students are current with those needed in the interpreting field.
Advisory committees are an important resource in helping ACC ASLIT make wise decisions, resulting in the best interpreting education program for the Austin Deaf community.
What do Committee Members do?
- Academic program review
- Support with Internship opportunities
- 8 membership positions total
- One year commitment for members
- Unlimited membership length for all members as long as they remain in good standing
How to Join
- Prior to each Fall semester, eligible current members will be asked to confirm their commitment to participate for another term
- Faculty makes recommendations on department and community representation
- Based on the number of seats available, an application will be shared with the respective faculty group accepting applications at the start of the Fall semester
- Nikki Soukup
- Tamara Suiter
- Oscar Ocuto
- Avonne Broker-Rutowski
- Julie Johnston
- Bobby Loeffler
- Rini Hassack
- Erin Hudson
- Diane Blastic
- Lauren Kinast
- Kent Kennedy
- Jamie Kail
- Elizabeth Sterling
- Tamara Godbold
- Angela Bryant
- Lee Godbold
What is an ex officio member?
An ex-officio is a person identified by committee who shall be invited to attend, comment and advise (with no voting right) at any meeting of the Advisory committee which is often ACC faculty and staff members who are part of the Deaf and interpreting community.
Current Ex-officio members
- Fallon Brizendine
- Emily Anderson
- Lisa Gelineau
- Misty Morris
- Lynne Wiesman
- Tracy Shannon
- Jodi Oates
- Ginger Bennett
- Jillian Gruetzner